Wednesday, July 27, 2011

DAY 253 - THE EUROPEAN LIFESTYLE

Day 253

Every time I go to Europe, I’m amazed to see how people live, especially in smaller towns.  North Americans are so stressed with efficiency.  Here, people seem to take the time to enjoy life!  Or maybe it is only my impression, because I’m on vacation and I’m not worried about anything else but the present moment, and everything around me seems to give me a sense of freedom.
Bruges, Belgium


In most towns we are visiting, cars are not allowed to go on many of the streets, so people walk a lot… along the way they stop for a quick espresso standing at a bar in the main square, which is also pedestrian.  Every week people meet at the market, which is held on the main square.

Maybe that way of life makes it easier to connect with others, to get a sense of community, which is something so  essential to happiness.

 I wonder if in those towns, less people suffer from solitude!    Big cities tend to make you invisible, as though you are part of a modern piece of art where all the colors blend into a dull grey…

There is so much we can learn from the European lifestyle.  Although, the way North American cities are built makes it hard for us to really do it!  Even in the smallest towns in Canada, the only pedestrian area is found in a shopping mall that you need your car to get to!!!!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.


No comments: