Tuesday, September 24, 2013

DAY 373 - CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE

Day 373


So we have been living in our new house for a little over a year and a half. I never thought I would say that but I LOVE not living in the middle of the city anymore.  I hadn't realized how,  for 15 years, I had been surrounded by concrete and dirt. Everything around me used to be a different shade of grey (no reference to the novel!!!!!!!!). There weren't many trees and there was a lot of pollution.

Now, when I open up my curtains in the morning and look outside, I see green, red, yellow, purple. I see flowers and trees. The scenery is so apeasing to the eye. I never realized how concrete agressed me in some way. Living in a "suburban-like" neighbourhood is not like living in the country - the nature is somewhat tamed- but there is still lots of animal life. We hear and see different types of birds. There is even a family of hares that visits our backyard once in a while. And, for the first time in my life, I have a vegetable garden. I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, red peppers, string beans, strawberries, raspberries, etc.

My husband and I were so scared of moving. We loved being able to walk everywhere. We enjoyed being close to the action, living a stone throw away from the best coffee shops and restaurants in Montreal.  We definitely left something we loved. But what we got in return is even better... who would have thought?

Change is sometimes unavoidable, sometimes chosen, but no matter if it is imposed or not, it is always an opportunity to evolve, progress, go forward. It is very scary to leave something you love for the unknown. And the truth is, we couldn't really imagine how we would feel living away from the heart of the city. It took us so much time to finally make the move.  But in the end, we are so happy with our decision. As scary as change may seem, it also pushes you to experience life in a different way.  Staying in your comfort zone might be reassuring, but it also tends to keep you from experiencing everything life has to offer.

"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: