Saturday, September 15, 2012

DAY 361 - BACK TO THE SAME OLD ROUTINE

Day 361

I always dread going back to work.  I really enjoy the summer and the freedom I have during that time of year.  However, through the years, I've come to realize that I'm never really able to be productive in the summer. At the end of the schoolyear, I often have a list of projects I intend to pursue during the summer, but somehow I never seem to be able to schedule them into my busy days (pool, bicycle, excursion, etc.).  Perhaps, it's because I have so many obligations during the year, so that in the summer I become allergic to 'have-tos'.  All I know is that I often get the feeling at the end of the summer that I didn't have the time to do half the things I intended to do!

Inversely, although I find it difficult to go back to having a routine, I feel that when I do, I'm able to accomplish so much more.  And, at the end of the day, I'm generally left with a feeling of genuine satisfaction.  All right, so I don't necessarily enjoy every single moment of the day and maybe I'm not in the best of moods at all times (ask my husband and children), but I'm being productive and, in a global sense, it gives me a sense of purpose.

Many people wish to win millions of dollars to gain the freedom to do whatever they want with their lives (stop working, travel more, etc.).  I believe that no matter how much money you have, you need a purpose, a reason to wake up in the morning and go on with your day, a sense that you're somehow contributing to society.  That's why people planning your  retirement is so important.  Many people dream of the day they will stop working, but then, when they do, they feel a void in their life.  I love my summer holidays... I love waking up in the morning when I want, with no plan in mind...  I love being able to enjoy my freedom... But my life could never only be about that!



No comments: