Sunday, September 11, 2011

DAY 282 - IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT... AND I FEEL ALL RIGHT!

Day 282

Saturday nights have always held a special place in my life.  When I was a child, I often spent Saturday nights playing board games with my family. I especially loved playing Monopoly.  We would spend hours strategizing, discussing, often going to bed very late.  I was the baby of the family (5 and 6 years younger than my brothers), so I generally didn't win (unless I cheated), but I didn't care.  I just enjoyed being with my parents and brothers, spending quality time and without knowing, creating future memories.

Later on, Saturday nights became "celebration" night.  I would look forward to that evening all week long.  My friends and I would make plans early on during the week.  My friend Christina and I would often meet up before going out.  We would get ready together, taking the time to select the best clothes and put on make up, in order to look our best (I don't think I've really worn any make up ever since)!  We partied all night and in the wee hours of the morning, we'd go grab something to eat, something really junkie!

Today, I still love Saturday nights.  We often turn it into movie night,  as we did yesterday.  We rent a movie, buy popcorn and any other goodie my kids are in the mood for and we sit down, under a warm blanket to watch a movie. We generally choose a comedy.  Laughter has a way of making you forget all your worries!  We cuddle, laugh and comment on the movie constantly.

I really cherish these little moments with my children.  The thing is, my kids still think we're great!  At the ages of 10 and 7, they WANT to spend time with us.  Who knows what will happen once they reach their teenage years!!!!!  (I know some parents who do have the "teenage breed" and it sounds like hell!)  So, those nights are precious to me. They always serve to remind me of how important it is to stop time, forget about everything that needs to be done and really FULLY enjoy and live in the PRESENT.

I know one day we will all be able to look back at those Saturday nights with a smile.  And when my kids become adults, I might even think about it with a touch of nostalgia!  All right, I better stop now, I'm already getting teary eyed! Must be the full moon!


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: