Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DAY 284 - THE FOUR ARCHETYPES OF HAPPINESS... WHICH ONE DO YOU BELONG TO?

Day 284

Last week, I wrote about Dr. Ben-Shahar's tips on living a happier life.   In a book called "Happier", he also explains that there are four basic archetypes of happiness when it comes to decision-making, and that most of us probably belong to one of them:

1. Hedonism - These people constantly seek happiness in activities that give them pleasure, no matter what impact it may have on their future.  People who suffer from addictions often tend to live in that way. They enjoy the here and now, and that's all! They believe that they can sustain happiness by experiencing one pleasurable activity after the next.

2. Rat Race - These people are on the opposite side of the spectrum.  They always postpone present happiness in order to pursue goals that they believe will bring them happiness in the future.   They forget to live in the present.

3. Nihilism - These people believe that no matter what they do they will never attain happiness. Basically, these are the ones who have lost all hope of ever being happy.  They are pessimistic and fatalistic.

4. Happiness - Happiness requires that we live for both today and tomorrow. These are the people who engage in activities, which they find meaningful and pleasurable today, and, at the same time which help them invest in their future happiness and wellbeing.

Maybe most of us have belonged to various of these archetypes at different times in our lives.  I remember being very hedonistic (when I had no kids, no responsibilities and only myself to worry about...ah those were the days)! I also remember times when I felt that the present was so difficult that the idea of the future was the only way to go (for instance, when I first gave birth to my eldest daughter).

Only now do I realize how important it is for me to both evaluate the impact my present decisions and actions will have on my future happiness and wellbeing, as well as take advantage of the present on a daily basis.  I guess, once again, it's all about trying to achieve balance...


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.


No comments: