Thursday, September 1, 2011

DAY 278 - SEPTEMBER - GETTING A BRAND NEW START

Day 278

For some reason, September seems like a wonderful time to focus on what you want to change in your life and get a new start.  It's the beginning of the schoolyear and the return, in many households, to regular routine. One of the things high up on my resolution list is, without a doubt, to keep exercising. 

In the spring, I was exercising four to five times a week.  When I left on vacation for Spain, I was scared I would stop, but I didn't, at least not for the first two weeks.  We were staying in a seafront hotel and steps away from my room,  located between the hotel and the sea, there was a boardwalk I was able to jog on every morning, as soon as I woke up.   After we moved from that hotel, I found it more challenging to find the place and time to exercise, so I slowly stopped my regular workouts. 

When we got back to Montreal, I was out of rhythm.  It took me another 2-3 weeks to start exercising again.  And although I am now working out three times a week, I'm definitely not as motivated as I was in the spring.

Exercise is an essential part of  my wellbeing.  When I exercise, I always feel like I have more energy during the day and better sleep at night,  So, I need to find ways to stay motivated. 

Here are some tips that can help in finding and keeping motivation when it comes to exercise:

- remind yourself, on a daily basis, of the benefits of exercising;
- start the week with a bang - if you start your week with exercise, you set the tone for the rest of the week;
- don't go more than two days in a row without exercising - it's very easy to get out of the groove and very difficult to get back into it (I've experienced that numerous times);
- if you don't have time to go to the gym, you can exercise from home - get a yoga or pilates dvd, dance to your favourite tunes (alone or along with your children), go for walks, etc.;
- find something you enjoy doing - if you hate it, you won't stick with it;
- find a friend to exercise with - it's much easier to give yourself an excuse than to let somebody else down;
- write it down in your agenda - if it's written, you might be more prone to doing it.

Thrity minutes of physical activity a day can have a positive impact both your mental and physical state... you just have to do it!


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: