Thursday, September 22, 2011

DAY 290 - TAKING IT ALL FOR GRANTED!

Day 290

Photo taken by Tanya at the
Château de Ramezay museum in Montreal 
Today, I went to a historical museum with my students.  We had previously discussed how people lived 100 years ago.  What I found interesting when we had the discussion is that most of my students believe that people were happier back then, because they didn't have to deal with all the stress we're confronted with today.

Yet, when I look back and observe women's condition, the amount of work that was necessary to maintain a home and the conditions of hygiene, I wonder if they really were happier (although happiness is something so hard to define).  Women couldn't vote, couldn't sign checks, couldn't have a career. Their destiny was determined the day they were born.  They would take care of their children, take care of their home and obey their husband (I'm sure my husband would have loved that).

However, it made me think of how when we don't know something, we don't need it!  I grew up having the possibility to choose who I wanted to marry and what I wanted to do with my life.  I grew up with a dishwasher and a washing machine (thank god).   So, I can't imagine living without all of those things.  And if I were to ever loose them, especially my freedom, I would be miserable!

The real problem is, we don't appreciate what we have, until we lose it.  We tend to take every person, every commodity, every single successful area of our lives for granted.

As I was talking about that with some of my students at lunch time, one of them told me a little bit about her story.  She was born in Cambodia.  As a child, she was confronted with war, so she couldn't go on studying.  Her family immigrated to Canada.  She found the man of her life, got married and had children.  With her husband, she began a import -export company.  She is a hard worker.  A self-made successful business woman as well as one of the most genuine people I have ever met.

She told me how grateful she was to be able to finally study.  She has been dreaming about getting the opportunity to go back to school since she was a young girl.  But only now, after becoming a grandmother, has she been able to do it.  She told me that she studies in the evening after having spent six hours in class.  She told me that sometimes, in the middle of the night, she gets up to study some more.... she wants to soak it all in!  For her, learning is a gift, a privilege and a dream come true.

We take education for granted, we take our health for granted, we take being able to eat every day for granted, we take having a house, a bed, a family, friends for granted, we take clean water, electricity for granted, we take the health of our environment for granted.  Let's not wait to lose any of these things to start appreciating them, taking good care of them and being grateful to have them.

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: