Wednesday, August 31, 2011

DAY 277 - THE SMELL OF HAPPINESS!

Day 277

For most mammals, smell is the most important sense. It is through the sense of smell that they find food and reproduce.  As for human beings, it seems that the primary function of smell has been lost. We look for food in the supermarket and we reproduce (or pretend to) even when it's not mating period!  However, the olfactory system still holds a place of choice in our lives,  especially when it comes to triggering memories and emotions.

In fact, research has shown what holistic medicine has known for centuries: aromatherapy can really work at reducing stress and depression, and at promoting happiness.  They've even found that it can have an impact on your work performance.


A few years ago I had bought a diffuser.  I had also purchased several essential oils and I used to light the diffuser so that my house would be filled with a joyful fragrance.  For some reason, I stopped doing that!  Today, I took my diffuser out again and found the tiny bottles of essential oils I had bought along with it.  As soon as I lit the diffuser,  the whole house was wrapped up in a delightful scent that lifted my spirit.  That fragrance, along with some jazz music in the background, truly made my day.

I then decided to look up the essential oils that can help promote happiness, so that I can go to my heath food store and purchase happy blends!   Here is what I found:

Essential oils that promote happiness and contentment include: 

Orange, Rose, Coriander, Clove, Jasmine, Ginger, Cinnamon, Geranium, Rose geranium, Bergamot, Sandalwood, Ylang ylang, Cypress, Neroli, Patchouli and Roman Chamomile.

Essential oils that promote peacefulness (help get rid of stress and anxiety) include:

Bergamot, Bois de Rose, Cedar, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Cypress, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Marjoram, Neroli, Petitgrain, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang

We have five senses that can help us appreciate life, so why not use them all,  sense of smell included!

Smell can not only bring back happy memories... it can also serve at creating joyful memories for future reminiscence!


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Essential oils/ fragrance have been used since the beginning of time in spiritual rituals in all countries and cultures!