Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DAY 267 - GOING WITH THE FLOW...

Orford Lake
Day 267

Last weekend, we went to my friends Donna and Karine's cottage.  We swam, played tennis and did some kayaking.  The weather was perfect, the lake velvety, the food delicious, the company fabulous.  It was an all around wonderful weekend.

On Saturday, we went swimming to and around an island that is in the middle of the lake.  The kids were kayaking beside us.  The swim lasted about 40 minutes. It was a very enjoyable workout!  The next day, Donna and I went swimming together.  I expected us to do the same route and was looking forward to it, but she wanted to swim along the shore and explore another area.

My first reaction was one of surprise and then, I became slightly disappointed.  When I put something in my head, I can't sway from it very easily.  I told Donna about my lack of flexibility.  She believes that many of us are stubborn in some way because we need to be in control.

The thing is life cannot always go your way and being able to adapt and be flexible can really improve your wellbeing as well as your relationships.  In the end, the route she chose was fine.... swimming was the objective, where we swam was only secondary.

I've been trying to mentally be less rigid, to be open to change and embrace it.  Unfortunately, I have to accept that I can't control everything... In the end, I loved our swim.  We went to an area of the lake I hadn't seen and that I wouldn't have, had we chosen to swim to and around that island.  

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: