Monday, August 29, 2011

DAY 275 - KEEPING YOUR COOL... WHEN 'IRENE' KNOCKS ON YOUR DOOR!

Day 275


Yesterday was a very challenging day!  First, we had planned to celebrate my youngest daughter's birthday at a gymastic's Club. My daughter's friends were supposed to arrive at the gym at 1:30pm.  When I got there, at 1:15pm, with the food, loot bags and balloons, the trainer in charge of my daughter's party was in front of the building, banging on the front door. 

heavy rain falling on the ground
Thanks to Hurricane Irene, it was pouring rain outside, with gushing winds, making it hard to see anything.  When I went up to her, she explained that the building was usually open, but exceptionally, because the swimming pool was being repaired, the Centre was closed.  She didn't have the key and so, unless we were able to signal the janitor, we wouldn't be able to access the building.

In the pouring rain, I started banging on the door with her, partly to try to get rid of my frustration!  I probably looked like a demented woman... My husband was honking to try to help us make as much noise as possible!  If the janitor was in, he never heard us.  When the little bundles of joy arrived, we had to tell the parents the location of the parrty had changed!  It was to be held at my house, which, by the way, was in no shape to receive guests.

I tried to stay calm... things were not going my way, and in general, I don't really react well when that happens!!!!  I finally decided that since I had no control, I had to make the best of it! In the end, the older kids organized games for the younger ones... they even were able to organize a treasure hunt!  My daughter never complained!  Children are so resilient and adaptable (something I can learn from).  All  my daughter ever wanted was to have a good time with her friends!!!! Where we were didn't really matter!

Later on in the evening, we received a call from our tenant on the third floor.  Her ceiling was leaking because of all the rain.  My husband went up to see.  While he was gone, I heard noise in the bathroom!  The toilet bowl was starting to make bubbles!  It really sounded like something catastrophic was going to happen!!   When he came back, he was panicked.  He had gone on the roof only to realize it was flooded.  The water came up to his knees.  He needed buckets and asked me to call the firemen!

My youngest daughter started to cry; my oldest daughter started to panic!  I tried to stay calm, knowing very well that giving in to excessive emotion was going to make me inefficient!!!!  In five minutes, the firemen were there, with all their muscles and expertise! However, my husband had already fixed the problem.  He had figured out that the drain was filled with debris, which kept the water from draining, causing an incredible accumulation of water! 

Did I keep my cool?  Not entirely... but I did try to keep breathing!  Do I feel like I was able to deal with the unexpected!  I tried...but that whole experience made me realize, more than ever, that trying to control everything is a waste of time.  Life will lead you through unexpected detours and if you don't learn to adapt and change direction, you're doomed to wind up in many unhappy dead ends!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.


No comments: