Monday, August 8, 2011

DAY 261 - SWIMMING MY WAY TO HAPPINESS...

Day 261

Last Saturday, we went over to my brother's suburban neighbourhood.  He lives in a sort of gated community, which gives him access to a swimming pool, a tennis court, a basketball court and a baseball field.  My children love going there, for obvious reasons.  I also enjoy spending time there.  I find it relaxing, especially in the summer.  The pool is never very crowded, so you can really swim.

I love swimming.  All through elementary school, I took swimming lessons, so I feel very comfortable in water.

I remember when I was younger, my aunt owned a trailer.  She would spend her summers on a campground in the country near a lake.  I would often go and spend some time there.  I would swim across the lake.  I loved it.

Contrarily to popular belief, although swimming is accessible to all ages and all levels, it can still give you a great workout. Last Saturday, after swimming 20 laps at a pretty fast speed,  I was tired.

Swimming has great physical benefits: It gives you a cardiovascular workout;  It works out many muscle groups simultaneously (legs, back, shoulders, arms), etc. But it also has mental benefits. Swimming can really put you in a meditative state. All you focus on is your breathing and your strokes. You can't work out with your I-Pod or watch t.v. at the same time.  And, when you come out of the water, you always feel relaxed, refreshed and rejuvenated, especially on a hot summer day.

Through the ages, water has served to treat and heal many ailments.  And more and more studies are coming out, showing again and again the benefits of swimming.

Recently, at the University of South Carolina , a  study led by Dr. Steven Blair evaluated more than 40,000 men over a 32 year period.“Swimmers had the lowest death rate,” explains Blair. “Therefore, swimming appears to be a healthy alternative to other types of physical activity.”

Another study led by Dr. Joel M. Stager, a researcher at the University of Indiana, established that the aging process in terms of respiration, muscle mass, bone density, cardiovascular activity and neurological function was slowed down significantly in people who swam regularly.

However, beyond what studies say,  I simply enjoy the activity.  Because I tend to get cold, I don't enjoy it as much in the winter.  But, since the beginning of the summer, I have really made a point of exercising and having fun swimming in the water.  It's been wonderful!


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: