Thursday, August 25, 2011

DAY 273 - HELP! I'M STRESSED OUT!

Day 273

So I'm not so zen about this whole back to school thing!  For the past week, I feel like I've been running like a chicken without a head.  I haven't been sleeping very well.  Last night, I was up from 1:30 am to 4:30 am, thinking about everything I needed and wanted to do... One should not be thinking at night, one should be dreaming!!!!


Stress is a funny thing.  It creeps up on you and takes over your body insiduously, leaving you feeling anxious and overwhelmed!  I was trying to figure out why I felt that way when it dawned to me that it's because not only I want to be perfect at everything I do, but I'm very stubborn about trying to accomplish as much as possible.  I don't allow myself to slack off nor do I give myself a break!

I want to be a perfect mother  and be there for all my kids' activities (soccer matches, for instance), have them well-groomed, intellectually stimulated, physically in shape and artistically inclined; I want to prepare perfectly balanced and healthy meals; I want to have time to be the perfect wife, friend, daughter, sister, employee, colleague: I want my house to always be neat and organized; I want to exercise, write, meditate, draw, sing, play tennis, read, go to the museum, go to the movies, go to the theatre, etc.

No wonder I'm stressed!  I'm putting pressure on myself to become a superwoman...  One day, one week and even one lifetime is not enough to accomplish everything I want to do.

The thing is by hurrying up trying to get things done, I'm really not taking the time to fully live and enjoy life.  Rushing through the day in the hope of getting as much done as possible is certainly not conducive to peace of mind and happiness.  So, I need to:

- prioritize
- take it one step at a time
- understand that I'm not more productive if I'm stressed
- accept that I am human and not superhuman
- always take the time to breathe properly
- learn to relax even if I have things to do
- start meditating again (I stopped at the beginning of summer)

Stress could be a hinderance to happiness... so learning to manage it is essential!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, I had a crazy morning like that.
I was sooo stressed out!
I stopped dead in my tracks. Did a breathing exercise, a little spritz of essential oil perfume, glass of water and put on a favourite necklace of my totem animal ( yes, hahaha).

Instead of focusing on the future ( thinking of all I needed to accomplish which overwhelmed me)- I brought myself back into the present moment. Voila. It did the trick within 10 min. After that, I felt totally happy and sat down to do some work effortlessly! xo
Mashie