Wednesday, August 24, 2011

DAY 272 -BACK TO SCHOOL TRIBULATIONS!

Day 272

My kids are going back to school tomorrow.  So, like many parents, I've been busy purchasing all their school supplies, labelling each item and, my least favourite, covering their books.  When I was young, my father used to do it.  He enjoyed it and because he is a very meticulous person, my books always looked wonderful. I remember him using a non-sticky blue plastic.

Now, teachers want you to cover the books with a sticky clear plastic film.  The first time I used it, I was literally struggling with it.  It was sticking everywhere, including my body parts, and the result was disastrous.  All my daughter's books had bumps and traces of paper on which the plastic had accidentally stuck!   On her first day, she came back from school asking me how come her classmates had books with a smooth surface and not her!!! Needless to say, I felt awful! There is such pressure in being the perfect parent!

I've now learned to cover the books properly and I get better at it each year!   But I needed to go through the failure and then, through the period of trial and error, year after year, in order to learn and master the technique.

I've often given up on a task after trying it only once or twice, telling myself that "it's not my thing" that "I'm not that good at that kind of stuff."  It is true that some people have an easier time with certain tasks than others.  We are not all born with the same talents!  But I believe, more than ever, that if you really want to learn how to do something, you can.  It might take you more time than someone for whom it's natural, but with patience, perseverance and dedication, nothing is impossible!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.


    

No comments: