Monday, August 22, 2011

DAY 270 - COLOURING YOUR MEALS

Day 270

Linda's melon soup
On Friday night, the Eatery Literary Society, my book club, met again.  As usual, the conversation was interesting and, by the end of the evening, we all thought we had been able, once more, to comfortably swim in the ocean of intellectual delight.  I love the way I feel after our meetings!

We all brought something to eat.  Linda, one of the members of the Club, went out of her way to create the dish of the evening.  She made a melon soup.  Not only was it delicious, but on top of it, it looked like a piece of art.   

It made me think of how eating begins with the eyes.  When I prepare a meal, I always make sure it's colourful. All colours vibrate, so having a rainbow of colours on your plate can not only open up  your appetite but also perhaps, have an impact on your mood.  I have noticed that when my plate looks beautiful, I often get a surge of happiness!!!

But having a colourful meal not only makes your food look better, it also insures that you are eating a well-balanced meal that includes all important nutrients.  Each different colour of fruit and vegetables, for instance, contains unique health components that are essential to health.   And since health and happiness are intimately linked, it's really a win-win situation.

Making your food look beautiful doesn't take much time, it only requires you to pay attention to the colour combinations by adding a little touch of artistic love to your dish!!!


How about you, do you pay attention to the colours when you prepare a meal???


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTW that soup looks so delicious. Too bad I missed that!!!

Totally! Every single meal I eat at home means:
I choose the coloured plate I feel like using in that moment.
You're right... the more colours on your plate... the more variety of nutrients you are consuming!

I even place my food on the plate in a manner that is appealing to me.
Last night I made an organic leaf salad with red cabbage, green olives and snap peas! The contrast of the beautiful greens against the purple cabbage was gorgeous.

The colours, texture, taste, scent... it was all wonderful!
Happy moment!
M. xo