Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DAY 276 - THE BRAIN'S NEGATIVE BIAS...

Day 276

Do you tend to focus on the negative aspects of your life, rather than the positive?  When you talk about your projects to people and everyone is enthusiastic about them except one person, which comment do you focus on?  When you watch the news, do you remember the catastrophic images more than the positive ones?


Well, if you tend to focus on the negative, don't worry about it.  You're not alone!  According to a study conducted by John Cacioppo, Ph.D.,  negative thinking is a widespread phenomenon.  And it is not your fault, it's because of your brain's negative bias...

For his research, Cacioppo showed some people positive, negative and neutral pictures.  By measuring the brain's electrical activity,  he demonstrated that the brain reacts more strongly to negative images.

When human beings had to fight for survival, identifying and focusing on danger was essential for survival.  It was a natural defence mechanism.  But what about in today's modern world?  Is it really useful?

Well, I've always felt that it was easier for me to be negative than positive.  I was actually talking to my friend Catherine about it the other day and yesterday, she's the one who gave me the article I used to explain Cacioppo's study!   When I read it, it just made so much sense.  

But what now?  Now that I know it's normal for me to have negative thoughts, it doesn't mean I have to accept it.  I still need to do something about it.   For one, I  can try to limit being exposed to negativity (not watching the news for instance), I can hang out with people who tend to have a positive outlook on life (eliminating toxic people) and, most importantly I can rewire my brain by meditating daily!!!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.



No comments: