Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DAY 271 - TAKE ME OUT TO THE THEATER...

Day 271

Last Saturday night, I went to the theater with my parents and my 29-year old niece.  We went to see a play called the The Lone Star Love Potion, a very light summer comedy written by Michael Parker.  I hadn't been to the theater in years.  The play was entertaining, but nothing more.  However, while I was there watching it, I realized that I love going to the theater.  I really enjoy the proximity of the actors and the classic aspect of the whole experience.

As I was driving back home, I thought that it would really be great to organize more cultural activities with my friends and family.  I love going to the museum, to concerts, to see plays, but for some reason when I think about doing those things, I never actually take the time to organize them.  The thought will come and go, but I'll procrastinate to the point of never making any reservations....

But I'm beginning to change.  On Sunday night, I sent out an e-mail to some of my friends for two outings in the fall: an opera and a play!!!!! As soon as I confirm with those interested, I'll make the reservations.

The great thing, I found out,  is that people participating in cultural activities, are more satisfied with their lives, regardless of how educated or rich they are.  According to a study published in the British Medical Association's Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, there exists a link beween culture and feeling good about yourself...

So there, even science is telling me that to be happier I need to go to the museum, watch movies, go to concerts and plays!  Why procrastinate about something that can bring me happiness?  I have mo more excuses!  From now on, my agenda will be filled with plenty of cultural activities!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.
 


No comments: