Monday, November 21, 2011

DAY 322 - DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Day 322


One of my friends wants to send her daughter to a public high school called the International School.  To get in, you need to pass an entry exam.  Out of 1000 applications, they only select 300 students.  Last week, my friend received the news that her daughter was not accepted.  She was extremely disappointed.  High school is a very critical time in a child's education and she really wanted her daughter to attend that well reputed school.  Because her daughter is strong academically, she was convinced she would get in, so she doesn't really have a plan B.


As I was talking to my brother about it, he simply said: "She shouldn't take no for an answer.  She should go see the principal of the school and tell him that she won't leave until he says yes.  After a while, he said, she'll say yes just to get rid of her." 

It made me think of how difficult it is to adopt that attitude, but how truly efficient it can be.  I clearly remember two events in my life that show the efficiency of such an attitude.  First, when I applied for my Master's degree.  I initially received a refusal letter because of the bad marks I had gotten in my first year university.  I went to see the Director of the Literary Studies department and convinced him to accept me.  I don't really know how I did it, but I remember that when I walked into his office, I had the intention of coming out with an acceptance, which I did.

The second time happened recently.  At the beginning of each school year, I organize outings at various museums for my students.  When I made the schedule, the coordinator of one of the museums was on vacation.  I assumed that the date I had chosen was available.  When she returned from her holiday, she told me that the date selected wouldn't work out.  It was already booked.  Ordinarily, I would have just tried to move the date.  However, because we had confirmed a visit in another museum on the morning of that same day, which couldn't be moved, I told her it had to be on that day.  I didn't have a choice.  I decided I wasn't going to take no for an answer.  I wasn't aggressive, pushy, impolite or rude.  I was kind, patient, but firm.   In the end, she managed to accomodate me.

Often, we accept things the way they are, even if they displease us, because we lack the courage or the optimism to try to change them.  When I was refused for my Master's and when the museum coordinator said no, I could have walked away and accepted the decisions.  But I chose otherwise.  I chose to fight.  And in both cases, I won the battle.

It's not always the case.  You can't win them all.  Some you'll win and some you'll lose.  However, if you capitulate before even trying to fight, than you're choosing defeat!  Winners are not the ones who never lose, they're the ones who never give up!

No comments: