Monday, December 5, 2011

DAY 330 - THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS

Day 330

Yesterday, we went to eat at my parent's house.  After dinner, my kids, nephew and nieces accompanied my father downstairs to put up his famous Christmas village.  Using our old electrical train (which amazingly still functions) to go around the village, my father added different village components, including a church, a merry-go-round, trees and little houses he's made using cardboard.  To make it brighter and more Christmassy, he's also created a whole electrical system so that each house is lit with a different colour light.

The week before, my kids had gone to my parents' house to help them put up the Christmas tree. At our house, we put out the outdoor decorations.

Christmas is truly in the air!  There is no doubt about that.  And I love it all!  Christmas songs included! But what is Christmas all about?  Are we really celebrating the birth of Jesus?

One thing historians agree on, in fact, is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December.  They believe he was born in September.  So why do we celebrate Christ's birthday on December 25th?

In the Northern Hemisphere, the end of December marks the winter solstice and many historians believe that Christmas actually originated from pagan traditions which used to celebrate, at the end of December, when the days start getting longer,  the return of the sun.

But, no matter the origin of the celebration and whether you are a believer or not,  Christmas remains a wonderful time of year (beside the undesirable commercial aspect of it, of course).  It can bring joy and hope to people at a time of year where darkness prevails. It is a time of giving, sharing, loving!   Countless generous acts are performed around Christmastime. From non-perishable food to toys to volunteer work, everyone seems more inclined to give to the less fortunate.

And children have the ability of making it a magical celebration. Since I have my kids, Christmas has taken a whole new meaning.   Every year, as Christmas day approaches, I feel their anticipation and excitement grow day after day.  When I walk in my neighbourhood with them, I see the sparkle in their eyes as they marvel at all the lights and decorations.  And that innocent wonder they have reminds me of my own childhood and helps me look at everything with different eyes, the eyes I tend to forget I have... the ones that marvel at the magic of it all!

For very dear friends of mine and for many other people who have lost a loved one, Christmas will not be the same this year. And I cannot write a post on this celebration without shedding tears thinking of you.  May you find the strength to eventually rediscover the magic and beauty of this time of year.


No comments: