Thursday, December 8, 2011

DAY 333 - JUST PUT ON THE RADIO!

Day 333

Whenever my kids watch t.v. or play on the computer for a long time, they become in a bad mood.  I don't know what it does to their brain, but, whatever it is, it isn't very positive.

I don't get to watch much t.v, I'm way too busy.  But when I do it for a an hour or two or when I'm on the computer for too long, I also feel that my mood gets altered in a negative way.  I often end up feeling lethargic, as if doing nothing tires me more out than being inactive.  When I listen to the radio, mostly in my car, it doesn't have the same impact on me.  On the radio, I'll listen to music or interesting talk shows and often feel very stimulated  by what's going on.

As I was doing research on the topic to find out if there was any study done on the topic, I stumbled upon one that was done in Great Britain which found  that radio makes people happier and gives them higher energy levels than TV and the web.

Over 1,000 Britons were polled via their smartphones and asked to record what media they were consuming and to rate their mood and energy levels while doing so. Radio came out top, beating both TV and the web.

Contrarily to what I would have thought, watching TV and surfing the internet apparently also significantly boosts people’s happiness and energy levels.  However, the results didn't come close to the positive effect radio listening has on people's well-being.

The study found that listening to the radio increases people’s happiness levels by nearly twice as much as watching TV does, and gives them four times the amount of perceived energy. The results were similar when comparing the radio with the web, especially when it came to energy. Those listening to radio said that they felt three times more energetic than they did when browsing the net.

So, I guess all technology can somehow bring us happiness.  But I can definitely understand why radio's on top.  It's probably because when you're listening to the radio, you could also be doing something else at the same time.  You can be active physically and mentally.  With t.v and the internet, you're pretty much stuck sitting down on your buttocks, staring at a screen...  

No comments: