Sunday, February 6, 2011

DAY 132- HAPPY SUPER BOWL SUNDAY

Day 131

Traditionally, every year, on Super bowl Sunday, my husband invites his friends over at his parents' house to watch the football game.  Everyone brings something to eat and we share a meal.  I have never understood American football, I still don't.  For me, it just looks like a bunch of guys with large shoulders, tight pants and a helmet running toward each other, always ending up in a pile.

Every year, My husband explains the game to me.  But I never remember.  In fact, what interests me the most in that particular gathering is the social aspect of it.

First of all, they are a majority of men, so there is a lot of energy going around.   You can really sense it. And so even if I don't really understand what is going on,  I often get carried away by the incredible amount of energy that is traveling through the room.

A gallup survey conducted in 2008 concluded that Super Bowl Sunday, was among the top 10 days that Americans reported the highest levels of happiness and enjoyment.

I don't know if the happiness level rises because of the actual game or because of the fact that a bunch of friends get together,  reinforcing their bond,  sharing their love of the game and spending time together in a fun setting.    Someone who would be watching the game alone might not enjoy the same level of enthusiasm.

The tradition of getting together on that specific day every year also has a beneficial effect on the happiness level.  There is talk of the event months ahead of time.  Everyone arrives in a good mood, expecting and ready to have a good time.  So why wouldn't it be a happy day!

No comments: