Monday, February 28, 2011

DAY 154 - AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...

Day 154

As many people did, I watched the Oscar Ceremony last night. Not entirely though, probably because I have always been a little turned off by the glamour and glitter of Hollywood. Not that I don't like beautiful expensive things, but for some reason, the superficiality of it all makes me uncomfortable. I never completely get into it. Maybe I’d feel differently if I were the one being handed an Oscar.  Who knows?

I recognise that Hollywood is full of talented people and that not every famous person has lost touch with reality. However, I think that when you've lived life between your mansion, a movie set where everyone is at your service and a red carpet, you probably get a distorted image of what’s truly important in life and you might even have slightly lost touch with reality.

Everyone who won an Oscar went up on stage and said that it was the happiest day of their life. And I'm sure you must have an overwhelming feeling of joy when you win the most prestigious prize in film for your talent and your hard work. But at the same time, as I was watching, I couldn’t help but think about the fact that while millions and millions of dollars are being spent on this event every year, some American parents are struggling to feed their children.

I’m not denying the fact that films bring happiness to the world, because they really do. Filmmakers are creators who are able to add magic to our lives and help people escape their harsh realities. However, because the industry has become so profitable and actors are getting paid insane amounts of money, the essence of the art is sometimes lost in the midst of all the glamour.

I just wish our society would start paying more attention to the humanitarians of the world who make a difference in people’s lives on an every day basis, making sure entire families are fed and roofed.  Many of them would deserve a trophy... and maybe, even just a portion of the money spent on the Oscars should be spent trying to make a real difference in people's lives!

No comments: