Friday, February 25, 2011

DAY 151 -IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF HAPPINESS, PLAY ON...

Day 151

Music can definitely have an impact on my mood. When I’m feeling gloomy, putting on an upbeat song is sure to lift my spirit.  That’s why I enjoy putting music on when I’m performing a boring task.  It makes me feel happier and it makes the task at hand seem less monotonous.

McGill University Researchers have recently demonstrated that, in fact, listening to music releases dopamine in the brain, the so-called ‘happy chemical’ associated to good food, sex and illicit drugs.

The study found that before the music even began, just anticipating the music could get the feel-good chemical flowing.

Those findings can explain why, no matter the culture, music has been part of every tradition throughout history.

I don’t believe that the same music can have the same impact on everyone. In terms of happiness,  “Respect”, from Aretha Franklin is on top of my list, along with “I Will Survive”, “Three Little Birds” from Bob Marley and the whole Grease Album….  I’m not sure my parents would feel much happiness if they heard the same songs…

Each generation has its classic joyful hits!!!  And because music revives memories, songs you listened to while growing up can produce not only a present feeling of happiness, but also trigger memories of past moments of happiness.

Listening to music is the perfect “quick fix” to a 'not-so-perfect' day.  Scientifically, besides releasing dopamine, some types of music have also been proven to alleviate stress, reduce anxiety and depression and speed up healing.  That is the reason why it has increasingly been used as a form of therapy.

“Without music life would be a mistake.” 
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

“Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons.  You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”
Plato

1 comment:

Unknown said...

music is such an important part of my life ....i am listening to boccelli right now while reading this blog