Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DAY 351 - DRAWING MY WAY TO HAPPINESS

Day 351 

Drawing of my husband
When you've lived in the same place for many years, you forget about the existence of some of the things you own.  On Saturday morning, my husband wanted to make some boxes.  He decided to empty the hallway closet.  On the top shelf, hidden behind our luggages,  he discovered a container full of my old painting material. 

There was a phase in my life when I spent hours and hours drawing and painting.  I've never taken a class, although I've always wanted to. I just really enjoyed doing it.  Those two activities never failed to put me in a meditative and relaxing state.

As I looked through my old stuff, I discovered a portrait I had made of my husband.  At the time, his hair was longer, so you could see his curls.  I also found a drawing I had made of my friend Christina and a self-portrait. 
Drawing of my yongest daughter

When my youngest daughter saw those portraits, she asked me if I could draw her.  I really didn't know if I'd be able to do it, but I told her I would try.

On Saturday afternoon, while my children were at gymnastics and my husband was out running some errands, I took a white sheet, a pencil and a photograph of my daughter and started drawing. Right away, I got into it, focusing on reproducing the lines and features of my daughter's face.  It took me about half an hour. The result is not perfect, but it allowed me to rediscover the pleasure of drawing. 

Many positive psycholigists believe that in order to achieve happiness, you should try to find activities that put you in a state of 'flow', activities in which you feel so immersed and reenergized that you forget about time, space, and any problem you might have!

Painting and drawing definitely both help me achieve that state.

     
    

No comments: