Monday, January 9, 2012

DAY 342 - BACK FROM A FAIRYTALE LAND

Day 342

Even though I am off for two weeks during the holiday season, I often go back to work more tired than when I left.  This time around, I swore  to myself it would be different.  I guess destiny helped me out a little!  My brother rented out a cottage up north, in the middle of nowhere, and he invited us to spend time with him and his family.

What did we do up there for two weeks?  Not much... but then again.  We played board games.  My children got the game of Clue for Christmas which they discovered and I rediscovered.  We played monopoly, scrabble, etc..  The kids invented and presented plays.  We prepared great meals and drank exquisite wine (my brother is a real connoisseur). We walked, snowshoed, slid, skied and built snowmen! We watched brainless comedy movies and drank herbal tea!

From the cottage bay windows, we marvelled at the wintery scenery.   In front of us, we could admire a white desert (that used to be a lake) in back of which stood a white and green mountain, majestic and elegant.  When we went into the forest,  the centennial pine trees covered with their white coat made us feel as if we were lost in a fairytale land.

For two weeks I didn't think of anything but the present moment.  It doesn't happen often.  I usually have to plan, organize, think ahead.  I was really able to detach.  So much that, this morning, when I walked into class, I had forgotten the name of some of my students.

I really enjoyed the Christmas holiday!  As I wanted, I spent quality time with my family.  I had the opportunity to rest and recharge my batteries. And this morning, as I walked into class, I realized that I was also happy to see my students again (even if I had forgotten their names) and start teaching again!

What makes life interesting is change!  With too much of the same, I know I would get bored.  So, as much as I loved my holiday, going back to work and being in class today gave me a surge of energy!   And I'll hopefully enjoy it until my next escapade!



No comments: