Tuesday, September 28, 2010

DAY 10 - THE VALUE OF FRIENDSHIP

DAY 10

Two parking tickets in 5 days...104 dollars of punishment for being distracted. That part of me, I know, and much to my husband’s dismay, I have inherited from my father. Countless times, when we were young, he would go to work and forget to lock the door. I remember my mother getting so angry with him. Once, something really funny happened to him. He was stopped at a red light. The light turned green, he didn’t move, then it turned yellow, red and green again. The guy behind him was honking, but my father was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t hear anything. That guy finally went up to knock on my father’s window. He didn’t punch him, although with driver’s rage nowadays he could have done that, he simply said: « Are you waiting for a special color? »

So when I went to my car this morning and saw my second parking ticket, I was so upset. I had gone out of my house early in the morning, to move my car away from a no-parking zone. I just hadn’t realized I had parked it in front of a fire hydrant. With my newfound spirituality, I wondered what the Universe was trying to tell me: «Focus on what you do!», «Money is not all that important!» «If you give your money to the city, you will indirectly contribute to the building of social housing, so really, this is a good deed». Then, as I was telling my best friend what had happened to me, she said: «You know what, these things happen to you because of one of your great qualities: you’re a dreamer, a free spirit!» She made me feel so good, I was almost happy about my ticket! And this made me think of how lucky I was to have her as a best friend. She always has such a positive outlook on life, not that she never feels sad or depressed, but deep down, her nature is one of genuine optimism. Something I could definitely learn from.

I am still poorer today than I was yesterday, but this little event showed me once more how fortunate I am to have such great friends. Will I be happy to write a 104-dollar check to the City? Let me meditate on that!

No comments: