Sunday, September 26, 2010

DAY 8 -THE PLEASURE OF GIVING

Day 8


When I got back today, a surprise was awaiting me in front of my doorstep.... a beautiful plant with gorgeous purple flowers. The sender???? Anonymous… There was no card, no explanation, just the flowers. They weren’t even wrapped! I loved it. I loved the mystery of it. My husband and I tried to figure out who it could be, but we really couldn’t. Now that’s true genuine giving! How selfless is it to give without expecting any kind of recognition or gratitude... even if it is just a word such as thank you? Most of us love giving. But why? Who does giving benefit more? The giver or the receiver? Do we give to make others happy or because it brings us happiness? Without the rewarding feeling we have when we offer a present, would we give? Is there such a thing as pure altruism?

I, for one, get more joy out of giving than receiving! I love the process of looking for the perfect present. On the other hand, when I receive presents, although I cannot say I don’t like it, I always get a little nervous. I am so transparent that I’m always afraid that my face will reveal my true feelings.

I remember once, when I was a teenager, my mother, who is far more eccentric than I am in her wardrobe, had offered me the most hideous flowery shiny dress. Now you need to know that when I was a teenager, I was COOL!!!!! I wore ripped jeans, converse running shoes and despised anything that didn’t fit that rebel image. It was Christmas Eve and I had drunk two glasses of wine. I was a little tipsy, and so was my mother. When I opened the present, I said: “ Oh my god, it’s so ugly!!!” And I started laughing with an uncontrollable laugh!!! I just couldn’t help it! Thank god, my mother has an incredible sense of humor, so she started laughing as hard as me! We were in stitches. Needless to say, I returned the dress… but I never forgot the laughter.

The pleasure felt when giving and receiving presents comes not only from the moment shared when the present is exchanged, but also from the lasting memory it creates! Who doesn’t remember one or several gifts they’ve received or given … and the joy they felt at that particular moment? So… is it really important to know if giving is a truly altruistic gesture? I don’t think so! Not if it is something that gives you a taste of happiness that you can revisit in memory every little once in a while!

No comments: