Sunday, September 19, 2010

DAY 1-THOUGHTS ON THE TRUE MEANING OF HAPPINESS

Day 1

Ok, so here it starts. My quest for the meaning of happiness…. Not that I’m not happy. Sure, there are moments in my life when I feel joy. But what is true happiness? I once bought a book by the Dalai Lama about happiness. It talked about finding happiness through Compassion and Detachment. The problem is, I don’t know how to be compassionate and detached at the same time. In fact, when my friends tell me about their pain, it truly makes me sad.

This morning, when I woke up and went into my shower, I decided that I would dedicate this year to this quest. On a spiritual journey, I launch myself. For some reason, I always come up with brilliant ideas when I’m in the shower. So there I am, reflecting, I tell myself that one of the things I really want to avoid is to turn this quest into something superficial and mundane. I really want to find the true deep meaning of happiness.

So, what do I do, on my way back from work, I go and try to find something my daughters have been begging me to buy them: SILLY BANDS: animal-shaped useless plastic bracelets. I go not to one, two or three stores to try to find them, but to five. As I am looking for these Made in China bracelets, I’m questioning whether they will bring my daughters happiness. I’m trying to show my kids what a Consumer’s Society we live in and how we are disgustingly manipulated by it. And there I am, in a toy store, spending 20$ on…junk! Junk made in China on top of it! And God knows I am aware of child labor and work conditions in China. But I can’t help it… my North American self is caught up in the whirl of consumption!!!!!

Needless to say, my daughters were ecstatic. And, as I was telling a friend about my questions about happiness, she brought up an interesting point: How long will my daughters be happy about this new materialistic acquisition? And there, I have my answer, as I am writing these lines, my 6 year-old daughter just pulled a tantrum because I don’t want her to open the bracelet package right away! So, basically, her happiness lasted 22 minutes and 35 seconds!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe clothing are preventing you from experiencing true hapiness. Seems like when you are naked you get enlighted. You should consider spending more time naked!

M+ said...

Love it! Congratulations! An amazing topic and amazing quest...

Would like to share a book with you- AWAKENING THE BUDDHIST HEART: Integrating love, meaning and connection into every part of your life.
By Lama Surya Das.

I'm reading it as a practising Christian.

I thought the book was okay until I got to this section in Chapter 3: "Contemplating Your Life".

Wow, hit me right between the eyes. The questions and comments that follow hit home big time! And I thought that I'm sure these questions and ideas are ones many people think about at one time or another but especially in mid-life.

All that to say... I truly look forward to reading your blog. Your topic is essential to the quest for an examined life which is to find greater meaning.

BRAVO!

Tamara said...

bravo din din ton neuveu samuel(wink,wink).
but my sis is still happy that my mom bought her those silly bands.
Its been 2 weeks!
:)