Saturday, September 25, 2010

DAY 7 - PRAISING IGNORANCE

Day 7

“Two car bombs in Iraq capital kill 12, wound dozens”
“Family mourns father of 3 killed in crash”
“Police make second arrest in relation to gang rape that went viral on Internet”

When I woke up this morning and turned on my computer to check my e-mail, those were the headlines! Why in the world, would anyone be interested in reading those articles? Isn’t there enough suffering around us as it is? Wouldn’t you prefer to read headlines like these:

“6 year-old girl from Ottawa, Canada, succeeds in learning how to tie her shoelaces in less than 5 minutes”
“12 year-old boy gets courage to run as class president and wins election, parents proud as hell”
“40 year-old woman finally registers to Indian cooking class, after suffering from procrastination for years”

I come from a family that believes you should always be informed of international, national and local news. I remember, when I was young, falling asleep to the sound of the voice of a famous news anchor. I developed political opinions at a very young age. As an adult, I’ve always read the newspaper and watched the evening news… until last year. That’s when I realized that I would be going to bed with all these depressing thoughts and images. I would then wake up in the middle of the night, sweating. It could have been a sign of early menopause, but I still had my period regularly, every darn month, so I knew it wasn’t. Right then and there, I decided I wouldn’t watch the evening news anymore. I still read the newspaper, but sometimes just the headlines. I don’t want to be spending more than five minutes on any given bad news. With the newspaper, I have control!

Some may think that by hiding my head in the sand, I’m choosing ignorance over knowledge… but isn’t ignorance bliss?

No comments: