Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DAY 155 - UNPLUGGING

Day 155


This week, my children have their spring break and my husband and I  took a few days off from work to spend time with them. Tomorrow, along with my friend Christina, we are going up to the country for a few days. We will be staying at a cottage that does not have internet access.  So, until Monday, I will be unable to post any article on my blog.


I don't consider myself an extremely technological person, but I do check my e-mail a couple of times a day, I go on Facebook once a day, and I check my blog readership many times a day.  That's not counting the time I spend actually writing my blog, researching it and publishing it.  I guess, without realizing it, internet and technology in general, has taken a very important place in my life!


I've consciously decided to completely unplug from technology for the entire weekend.  My I-Phone will be turned off.  I will make a point of doing activities that do not require technology: reading, playing board games,  singing songs in front of the fireplace and, of course, taking advantage of the great outdoors!!!


I know there will be temptation.  I am bringing my I-Phone with me, as a security measure, but I don't intend to use it.  It will be hard.  How could I resist checking my e-mail for 5 days?  God give me strength!!!!!  Who would have thought 10 years ago that technology would become so addictive?


People are becoming more and more aware of the need to unplug once in a while. That is why, last year, a group of Jewish artists prepared a document called the Sabbath Manifesto, where they suggest for people to unplug once a week.  On this one day, you’re urged to:


  1. Avoid technology
  2. Connect with loved ones
  3. Nurture your health
  4. Get outside
  5. Avoid commerce
  6. Light candles
  7. Drink wine
  8. Eat bread
  9. Find silence
  10. Give back


The Sabbath Manifesto also began a National Day of Unplugging held on March 20.  I love the idea.  I think that getting rid of the technological distractions helps you focus on all the important things and people in your life!  So, I'm very happy about the fact that by unplugging,  this is exactly what I'm going to do for the next couple of day.

2 comments:

dcmarvel said...

wait, Alina!! before you unplug can you leave me a # of the cottage in case i need to get in touch ..!
thx, just txt it to me. I,ll txt you back. i will definitely need to chat after my appt on friday... actually, can you bring your laptop, we can skype, it'll be cheaper... thx.. skype is not really technology anyway.

Miri said...

As an Orthodox Jew who observes Shabbat every single weekend, I totally recommend your idea. I, like everyone, a'm addicted to my IPhone and email. But once I light my Shabbat candles, and say the blessing that ushers in the next 25 hours of no access to phones, computers, etc. , a feeling of total peace enters my home. It's a feeling of freedom. Of not being "addicted or enslaved" to technology. And yes, we do spend time w family n friends. But as someone that lives alone, even the quiet peaceful silence feels wonderful. I think we all need to get off the "rollercoaster" of life and find a time of "Shabbat"...or Sabbath as you suggested. Once you do, you will never understand how you lived without it !

I found Yr blog tonite and love it!! Good luck on Yr journey and thanks fr letting us all "tag along".