Monday, March 14, 2011

DAY 163 -NOURISHING YOUR BRAIN...

Day 163

A few Centuries ago, when you were a Scholar, you knew about mathematics, science, geography, history, philosophy, theology, art, music, etc. If you were going to be worthy of that title, you had to make sure that you had knowledge in all these fields. Think of Leonardo Da Vinci, for instance, who was a scientist, a thinker as well as an artist.

Nowadays, the amount of knowledge in every field is so wide, that we need to specialize. It’s unfortunate, in a way, since all fields are interconnected. Nobody has a global view of the world anymore. We are all stuck in our little "niche".

I’ve always loved to learn. And it seems that the more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know much. Confucius said : "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." Well I guess, according to that definition, I do have knowledge…

Every day I make sure I learn something new.  And as a teacher to adults who come from different cultural backgrounds, it is very easy to do.  My students teach me as much as I teach them. 

This blog has also allowed me to learn a lot, especially about history, philosophy and human psychology.

Learning gives you access to an understanding of the world and allows you to grow as an individual.  I’ve met people in my life who think they know it all.  I believe that when you stop questioning yourself and the world,  and you start believing that you know everything, you stop growing.  You start stagnating.

What is also great about knowledge is that you don't have to keep it to yourself.  Indeed, for me, the greatest part about learning is having the opportunity to share my knowledge.  I guess that is why I chose a career as a teacher.  It is also probably the reason why I'm writing this blog.

Knowledge is endless, accessible and, best of all, free.  And acquiring it and sharing it simply makes me happy!

"Knowledge is power. Rather, knowledge is happiness, because to have knowledge -- broad, deep knowledge -- is to know true ends from false, and lofty things from low. To know the thoughts and deeds that have marked man's progress is to feel the great heartthrobs of humanity through the centuries; and if one does not feel in these pulsations a heavenward striving, one must indeed be deaf to the harmonies of life."

Helen Keller

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

No comments: