Sunday, June 5, 2011

DAY 234 - A LITTLE GIRL'S SMALL VICTORY BUT GIANT STEP

Day 234

My daughters had their year-end piano concert today.   I was especially nervous for my youngest daughter.  At the previous one, around Christmastime, although she was prepared, at the last minute, as they called up her name, she refused to go up.

I tried to convince her, encourage her, but she was crying and I thought it wasn't worth it.  At the time, I remember wondering if we should have  insisted a little more...  It was the second time that she was really enthusiastic about doing something and felt too shy to follow through with it.  Both times, she felt really sad about it.

The funny thing with her is that she is extraverted but extremely timid at the same time. She is also very stubborn.  Once she makes a decision, she will almost never change her mind. So trying to convince her is often a lost battle.

So, as we walked into the concert hall, I apprehensively wondered if she was going to find the courage to do it.

When they said her name, I sat there, waiting to see what she was going to do.  She didn't cry, she didn't even look at me.  She got up, went straight to the piano and played her piece of music.  I started crying  (I guess it was my turn to cry).  She played beautifully.  After she finished, she got up, bowed and came back to her seat.

I was so proud that she had been able to overcome her timidity.  When we left the concert hall, she was happy and she told me: "Mommy I knew I was going to be able to do it, because, even though I had butterflies in my stomach,  I told myself: I CAN DO THIS!"

It was a small victory, but also a giant step for my daughter.  From now on, she'll know that when she really puts her mind to something, she can achieve it...  and that makes me really happy!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: