Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DAY 236 - A GREAT DAY!

Day 236

Happiness can be achieved through daily effort.  It is not something that will miraculously fall from the sky.  So, it's no use waiting around for it.  You need to live your life keeping that in mind and making sure that, on a daily basis, you make choices that are conducive to YOUR INDIVIDUAL happiness.

Last night, as I meditated upon my day, I tried to see if I was satisfied with my choices and then, I thought it would probably be a good idea to determine what I consider being a GREAT DAY! 

It's utopian to believe that a day can go by without hurdles, so the idea is not to seek perfection, but to learn to cope with hurdles without letting it affect your mental state.  

Ideally, I like to wake up early and enjoy the silence of my house for half an hour, sipping my coffee and taking the time to wake up.  Afterwards, I feel ready to calmly face the morning routine.

At work, I  like to arrive a few minutes before the beginning of my class, so that I don't feel rushed on the road or upon my arrival at school.  

As a teacher, I love it when I'm at my best, that means being prepared and giving my students the knowledge and energy they need in order for them to reach their full potential.

As for my blog,  I usually write it in the early afternoon.  I love it when I've determined my topic in advance, but I accept the fact that it might not always be the case and that sometimes, I will need to research, read and struggle to find one.  All I am convinced of is that, by the end of the afternoon, I will have written something.  And that alone is enough to give me peace of mind.

I feel good when I eat a healthy breakfast, a healthy lunch and a healthy dinner.  It impacts my physical, but also my mental wellbeing... That doesn't mean I won't sometimes indulge in food that is not so healthy, but the matter of the fact is, I don't feel so well afterwards... so making healthy choices gives me more satisfaction than indulging in unhealthy ones.

I always feel better when I exercise in the day.  Even if it's just fast walking.

I need to fight negative thoughts that, in my case,  often come in the form of worry ... They sometimes slowly crawl into my mind...  It's a constant battle and probably one of the hardest  habits to get rid of and also a major hinderance to the achievement of happiness.  It requires to control your mind and shift your attention to the present moment, which is not always easy.

In terms of my relationships, I need to feel that I'm connecting with the people I love on a daily basis - whether it is with my family, my friends or my colleagues.  And I hate feeling that there is something wrong with one of my relationships.  I rather confront people, express my emotions than live in a state of  resentment, guilt or anger.  When I go to bed at night, I like to feel lighthearted.

I really look forward to getting into my bed when I know I have a great book awaiting me.  It's a real source of happiness for me!

Meditating before going to bed permits me to empty my mind of worries and also, to take the time to be grateful for everything that I have.  It connects me with my spiritual side.

I know what a GREAT DAY is for me.  It mostly requires me to find balance and peace of mind.  All I need to do is to try to always make the right choices so I can sail in happy waters as much as possible!

And what about you?  What's a great day for you?

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.
  

No comments: