Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DAY 237 - OMEGA 3'S TO BOOST YOUR MOOD: HOW NOT TO GET TOO CONFUSED WHEN YOU'RE BUYING FISH!!

Day 237

So, they say (I still don't know who they are), that you should have fish twice a week.  Especially those fish that contain high levels of omega-3's.  One of the benefits being that it can help boost the mood.  If we could just do that!  Go to the fish market, buy fish and eat it.  But it is far more complicated than that.

The main concern, when it comes to fish is the amount of pollutant and mercury it contains.  Take tuna, for instance, because it has such an extended life expectancy, the level of mercury found in it is very high, so it is recommended for pregnant women and children to avoid eating it.

Salmon contains mercury as well, but a lot of healthy omega 3's.  You should actually buy wild salmon and not farm-raised salmon, which contains a higher amount of contaminants and mercury and has a negative impact on the environment.  But what about organic salmon? Doesn't it sound like it could be a healthier choice? I guess it depends on what they mean by organic.  All these variables make the simple task of buying fish so complex!!!!

As I was researching this topic, I read some advice that I thought was very comical.  For instance, that you shouldn't buy fish that comes from polluted waters, that you should make sure it comes from pristine, clean, pure water! As if I don't know that!  Except that I am not the one fishing the darn thing, so of course the merchant is not going to tell me that his fish comes from an extremely polluted river and that, in fact, the pesticide content and mercury levels of his products are very high!

So it leaves me with a dilemma.  Which fish should I buy?  Which one is the safest and healthiest choice? I stumbled upon an article that enlightened me a little and that was published in the March 2009 issue of Cooking Light called How to Buy the Best Fish. It is a great article to read if you, like me, have become  overwhelmed  by the wide selection of  fish available.   With the help of very simply and straightforward language this article helped me to better understand the differences between harvesting methods (i.e. wild vs. farm-raised) and the environmental and health implications of each method on the fish we buy.

My conclusion is that, as for anything, you shouldn't become obsessed with finding perfection in your fish buying.  Fish has far more benefits than disadvantages.   Being informed is important, because it helps you make wiser decisions, but becoming obsessively worried about what you put on your plate could  be detrimental to your mental health!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: