Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DAY 248 - REACHING THE TOP

Day 248

For a few months now, I've been jogging regularly.  I've been talking about it a lot to one of my colleagues who's an avid runner.  She has done many marathons and goes out for a one-hour jog on a daily basis.  She generally runs up Mount Royal, which is a beautiful mountain in the middle of the city of Montreal.

Whenever I walk there, I always get a wonderful peaceful sensation. I feel like I'm in the middle of nature, surrounded by the fresh scent of pine trees and the sweet sound of chirping birds.  The designer of the park, an architect by the name of Frederick Law Olmstead, also designed Central Park, in New York City.  He created a haven, five minutes away from downtown, for all Montrealers to enjoy!

Whenever my colleague talked about her runs up the mountain, I would tell myself: "God, she's in shape!  I'd never be able to do that!"

You have to know that I used to run a maximum of 20 minutes, on a very flat surface. But today, I proved myself wrong.  I ran 10 kilometres, going up the mountain, reaching the top and coming back down.  When I arrived home one hour and fifteen minutes later, I was tired but happy.

That little success made me realize that often, in the past and still today, I'm the one who puts obstacles in my own way!  Maybe it would be time for me to stop doing that!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

1 comment:

dcmarvel said...

wow !!! AMAZING Dina !!!! i LOVE the mountain... its my FAVOURITE place to go.