Tuesday, June 14, 2011

DAY 241 - WORSHIPING THE SUN GOD!

Day 241

Two days ago, my oldest daughter asked me what would happen if the sun would die.  Before I could answer her, she told me: "Well, mom, I think, the Human Race would disappear. All the trees would die, there wouldn't be anymore oxygen on earth so human beings and animals wouldn't be able to survive.''.

As she was talking, I wanted to tell her: "But you're nine years old, why are you asking such deep questions? Shouldn't you be talking about your friends, your teachers or your next soccer match?"  But she is my daughter after all (the apple never falls very far from the tree) and she started asking existential questions when she was only five.  So, by now, I'm used to it.

It made me think of how, throughout history, the sun has been worshiped by every single civilization: from Ancient Greeks, to Egyptians, Romans, Aztec, Mayans, etc.   It was perceived by ancient cultures and still represents the ultimate source of ENERGY and LIFE!

On a more personal level, I have to tell you that the sun has an impact on my mood. When I wake up, look out the window and can't tell if it's morning or night because of the thickness of the clouds,  I need a double dose of espresso to wake up, because all I want to do is crawl back into bed!  On the other hand, when the sun is shining, I simply can't wait to get on with my day!

With all the health concerns we now have about the sun, we have forgotten the fact that it also benefits us in a number of ways. The sun delivers heat and raises core body temperature, which in turn increase cell function and therefore can help in the detoxification and purification of the body. Sun also regulates our natural biorhythm cycles.

Moreover, getting up to ten minutes of direct sun exposure each day helps the body produce vitamin D, which helps regulate calcium levels and absorption. It is necessary for healthy bones and teeth. It is also important for healthy immune function, nervous function, for insulin/blood sugar regulation, and for numerous endocrine and digestive functions.

Finally, one other benefit of sunlight for most people is that it can enhance the mood. Many people associate sunlight with happiness and stimulation. In fact, sunlight has been known to combat depression, especially sadness experienced by those who suffer from seasonal affective disorder or SAD (depression that appear during winter months because of the lack of sunshine).

In Montreal, I can't remember the last time I saw so much rain in the months of May and June.  Today marks the return of the SUN and I feel that everyone's in a better mood!  It's physiological... fighting the cold and the rain depletes you of your energy... feeling the warmth of the sun reenergizes you!  SO, LONG LIVE THE SUN!  And all we can hope is that the warmth and sunshine are here to stay!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: