Sunday, June 19, 2011

DAY 245 - DIGGING THE SOIL FOR HAPPINESS

Day 245

My love for gardening began when I was very young.  I remember always being excited when it was time to plant our vegetable garden and flowers.  My father and I would get all we needed and spend hours digging, planting arranging and, at the end, admiring our newly acquired marvels.

I've always thought that the reason why I felt that way was because I liked feeling close to nature and taking the time to surround myself with beauty.  I've also always seen gardening as being a relaxing, almost meditative activity. However, I recently discovered that my love for it might also come from the fact that by digging and raking soil, I was being exposed to a joy-inducing bacterium.

In 2007, Dorothy Matthews, a Microbiology Researcher at The Sage Colleges in Troy, New York and her colleagues conducted a scientific research that showed that Mycobacterium vaccae,  a bacterium commonly found in dirt has the ability to increase the levels of serotonin in the brain and, therefore, can help brighten the mood, reduce the stress-level and contribute to happiness.  The experiment, done with mice, also showed that it increased mental sharpness.

Some people view gardening as a chore... In my case, it's a pleasure.  I live in the city, so I just have a tiny little garden, but it is big enough to plant a variety of perennial and annual flowers. Unfortunately, my busy schedule doesn't allow me to garden as much as I would like, but the little time I spend smelling the scent of the earth always gives me great joy!

Besides all that, gardening is a great way to add beauty to your environment, get a little exercise and use your creativity!

"There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling."

Mirabel Osler

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

1 comment:

mascha said...

How interesting is that! Had no idea. I adore gardening as well for so many reasons. I just love the smell of earth and to feel the earth between my hands. I feel like all my cells are vibrating when I garden. It also reminds me of my Babuschka's garden- it was a large, plentiful and beautiful garden filled with flowers, fruit, fruit trees and vegetables. She even created a small, magical garden tucked away behind the chicken coop just for my Sister and I.
Nice memories! xo