Monday, October 4, 2010

DAY 16 - BLOGGING, A NARCISSISTIC EXPERIENCE?

Day 16

Because of this blog project, happiness has been a recurring topic amongst my friends and colleagues. I really enjoy listening to people’s definition of what happiness is. Some people have such a profound outlook on the subject, while others have a more down-to earth definition. Today, as I was discussing my blog, an acquaintance asked me if this was some kind of narcissistic journey. Initially, I was a little hurt. But then I started picturing the mythical Narcissus falling in love with his reflection in a pool, and I didn’t exactly recognize myself!

But why am I doing this then? When it first came about, I was just wondering what people thought of happiness. I was in my shower and I imagined writing a book on the different perceptions people have on this topic. I was thinking of asking 4th graders, the founder of Cirque du Soleil Guy Laliberté, a homeless... When I shared my idea with my friend Donna, she simply said: “Why don’t you just write a blog instead?” Six days later, she sent me a link to MY blog! It was done... I didn’t take months to think about it... I just started writing!

Is this turning into a self-loathing, self-centered, egotistic journey? Absolutely not! Yes, I want to be read... If you’re writing a blog, it’s probably so that you can share your thoughts with others. Otherwise, you would be writing a diary! And then, it dawned on me. No matter what project you start, there will always be people who will encourage you and others who will, intentionally or not, make you doubt and cloak your idea with a wet blanket. Unfortunately, it seems that human nature tends to focus more on the negative than the positive. We need to remember that each comment uttered to us is only one of many subjective versions of the same reality. It is then up to us to choose which reality we adhere to! The one that saddens us and makes us self-doubt or the one that brings us joy and makes us feel GOOD?

No comments: