Wednesday, October 6, 2010

DAY 18 - BATTLING NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

Day 18

I come from a long tradition of hypochondria. My father, my mother, my aunts, my brothers and I, are all self-acknowledged hypochondriacs. On Sunday night, my daughter told me she had a headache. Since she had been going to bed late all weekend, celebrating her 9th birthday, she was probably just exhausted. As a hypochondriac, though, this logical explanation did not spontaneously occur to me as being the plausible reason for her pain. So, as it usually does, my crazy mind started picturing the worst imaginable scenario… but then, I stopped!

Many times in the past, I’ve been confronted with this “uncontrollable” spin of the mind. Negative thoughts hold a power equivalent to a nuclear bomb, emanating negative energy all through your body long after they first enter your mind,. What I did yesterday was to imagine in big red flashing letters, with a loud beeping sound, ACCESS DENIED, ACCESS DENIED, ACCESS DENIED. I simply refused to give access to my negative thoughts, picturing them as being a foreign substance that my body needed to keep out!

I was ready with my armor and sword, to fight that recurring though process that sneaks up on me every once in a while. Everyone has their own mind battle and when we let negative thoughts move about freely in our brain cells, they start invading us and taking over. My battle has been hypochondria and on Sunday night, I won!

1 comment:

M+ said...

Great post!
xo

p.s. my word verification is "couscork". Laughing. No space for negativity with that word!