Saturday, October 16, 2010

DAY 28 - FIGHTING THE “COUCH POTATO” SYNDROME!

Day 28

Last night, I went to a party. My husband couldn’t come for lack of babysitting, so I went with my dear cousin Serge. Initially, because the weather was so horrible, I hesitated to go. It was rainy and windy, the perfect weather to put on your pyjamas and watch a movie with a blanket and a cup of tea. However, I decided that, since winter is right around the corner, I would have plenty of opportunities to do that in a very near future.

Before I left, my daughters were watching me get ready, commenting on my outfit, suggesting different ones, helping me choose earrings and looking at me pluck my eyebrows, wondering if one day they too would have to suffer the pain of hair removal. It reminded me that very soon, they will be the ones going out, and I will be the one to watch them pluck their eyebrows.

We were amongst the first people to arrive. I never used to want to get to parties early. I was the type to arrive late and stay late. I was so cool then… Now, since I wake up very early, by 10pm, I start falling asleep…so I rather arrive early to really take advantage of the evening…

Our friends Mia and Lee always organize wonderful parties, where they take the risk of gathering an eclectic group of people that magically end up gelling! Two events led me to believe I was at a very COOL party… First, I met a struggling painter! Cool parties always have struggling artists…. We spoke for a while. As I was asking her about what she does, she described to me her state of mind when she paints: a mixture of ecstasy and pain, as any passion, whether it is love or any art form, makes you feel.

Then, this hip looking black dude with dreadlocks came up to me and said, hey, how’s it going, my name’s Rock! And I thought, you really do rock… His name fit his personality so well… his mannerism, his way of talking… I though that I too would like to have such a great name…

As I was about to leave, Lee dragged me to the dance floor, suggesting that a party is not a party until you have danced! I didn’t stay very long on the dance floor, just enough time to get into that incredible trans only certain repetitive beats and melodies can bring you!

When I arrived home, everyone was asleep. And, as I entered my warm bed, I thought of how we sometimes miss out on opportunities to experience pleasure when we give in to our natural homebody tendencies! I’m happy I fought my couch potato side last night. It allowed me to go out, meet new people and enjoy the warm hospitality of my friends Lee and Mia.

No comments: