Monday, October 11, 2010

DAY 23 - THE ART OF GRATEFULNESS

Day 23

All spiritual books say it, William Blake said it and even my mother says it: being grateful for what you have is definitely one of the keys to happiness. Traditionally, thanksgiving was meant to thank nature for the harvest. However, for most people, the meaning of this celebration has evolved into but being thankful for everything they are blessed with in their lives.

I have never been the type to write up a list of what I am grateful for! I’ve done it a couple of times, but I guess my analytical self feels that I’m being redundant, boring and way too ‘NEW AGE’. The repetitive aspect of it reminds me of when I was young and I made up a list of ‘sometimes-invented’ sins before going to confession. Father, forgive me for I have sinned, I have lied to my parents, I stole candies from my brothers, I used foul words, I cheated at school. I had my prepared list of sins and every time I would go to confession, I would repeat the same ones.

The fact is, we tend to focus on everything in life we would like to acquire: a bigger house, a partner, a better social life, a better spouse, more clothes, better behaved children, more money to travel, a new car, a new job, a cottage in the country. The list goes on and on…

The problem with this way of thinking is that we get stuck in a state of constant dissatisfaction, always wanting more and better… The thing is, there is ALWAYS more and better, so when do we stop? When do we say: that’s it, I’m there, where I’ve always wanted to be?

Acknowledging what we have helps us realize that, indeed, we are fortunate. So, what am I grateful for this year? Tonight, before going to bed, I’ll make a list!!!!


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

No comments: