Tuesday, October 19, 2010

DAY 31 - SUPERSTITIOUS BELIEFS

Day 31

Last Friday, a student of mine gave me a 4-leaf clover as a present. I was surprised and touched. I have never found a 4-leaf clover. I remember, as a child, spending hours looking for one in the grass. Since there is only one 4-leaf clover per 10,000 three-leaf clovers, you really have to be lucky to stumble across one...

Superstitions have long been part of human beliefs. And although most superstitions are not based on reason or knowledge, it seems that many people have incorporated them in their lives, through rituals or behaviours, without realizing it. We have all crossed our fingers, knocked on wood, avoided walking under a ladder, etc. Doesn’t Celine Dion have to go through a series of rituals before she goes on stage to insure her success?

I believe superstitions to be nonsense... but then again, I come from an Egyptian family. And, as you might know, Egyptians, as many Mediterranean cultures, are renowned for their superstitious beliefs. I learned at a very young age that you shouldn’t cut your nails after sunset; that it could bring bad luck. This belief, I found out, comes from the fact that, in the past, people couldn’t see very well at night, so they often cut themselves if they did it in the dark. Every time I notice my children have long nails and it is nighttime, I sigh. I cannot bring myself to do it. As irrational as this superstition is, I have internalized it so much, that I can’t seem to challenge it...

With the arrival of consumer’s society, superstitions have turned into a business... Whether it is amulets, talismans, rabbit’s foot, saint relics, precious stones, people are now buying luck, protection and happiness. We are so desperate to find ways to better our lives that if we feel we can buy our way to felicity, why not give it a try...

If, as George Orwell said, « Myths which are believed in tend to become true », then I guess good luck charms could help people who believe in their magical powers increase their fortune and happiness. However, no one has ever found a job only by holding a relic of St-Cajetan, patron saint of the unemployed and job seekers. You also need to take concrete action in order to reach your goals.

Will this 4-leaf clover bring me luck? I’m preciously keeping it in my notebook, just in case!

2 comments:

Sarah Gilbert said...

That is very funny about the Egyptian fingernail superstition, I love it!

Unknown said...

Especially funny when I forget to cut my kids nails during the day for a couple of days and they end up with long dirty nails...I always imagine what the teachers must think of me : 'Gee, that woman really neglects her children's hygiene!' Noooo, I swear, it's just that long nails tend to keep dirt and I can't cut their nails at night!