Sunday, November 7, 2010

DAY 50 - EATING MINDFULLY

Day 50

Eating is definitely one of the pleasures of life. I believe that the hedonic aspect of it is desirable. There is nothing more enjoyable than to sit down and eat food that stimulates your taste buds. I’ve gone through several diets in my life and I remember, in some cases, looking at the food I was going to eat with frustration. That is no way of living your life.

The problem is that we eat (or overeat) mindlessly. How many of us actually think of the flavors in our mouth when we are eating and chewing? How many of us truly feel the pleasurable sensation of eating? As I was walking toward my office to write this post, I saw a piece of leftover grilled cheese on the counter. I simply took it and started eating it on the way. In less than two seconds, it was gulped down. It disappeared without anybody, not even myself, taking note of its pathway through my taste buds into my stomach. What a shame! Was I even hungry? Not really!

I’m a rather healthy eater. Unfortunately, like most people, I have the tendency of eating mindlessly. Sometimes, I’ll be eating while working or even driving. In that case, my mind is definitely wandering in other directions. This act of mindless eating has several negative consequences. First, it puts you in an automatic-pilot state that prevents you from hearing the message of satiety sent by your brain. It also keeps you from truly delighting yourself in the pleasures provided by the food you’re eating. Finally, it removes all aspects of the ritual associated with eating.

In our fast-paced society, eating has been relegated to a secondary activity that sometimes conflicts with our busy lives. Taking the time to eat tasty, but nevertheless healthy food mindfully and happily, not only at dinnertime, but throughout the day, can help include happy moments in our day and have long-lasting beneficial effects on our mental and physical health. It’s all a question of practice and discipline, once again!

No comments: