Sunday, November 28, 2010

DAY 71 - SHE KICKS, SHE SCORES

Day 71


My oldest daughter loves soccer.  She is passionate about the sport.  Since the beginning of the summer, my husband, along with our friend Ramona, has been coaching her intercity team.    Because she is playing at a competitive level, soccer has become another member of our family! 
I have always sworn to myself that I would never become one of those crazy soccer parents who scream when they’re on the bench watching their kid play.  The first match they had last May, I screamed so loud that by the end of the match I had lost my voice.   I have now accepted the fact that I am no different than all those so-called fanatical parents!!!!  The beautiful thing about middle age is acceptance of one’s contradictions!
When I watch my daughter play, time stops.  I get so involved in the game that I can sometimes feel my heart skip a beat, accelerate, race or slow down, as the match progresses.  The variations of my emotional state are intimately linked to her team’s performance.  And when she scores, my proud motherly heart overflows with joyful tears.
Today, I attended one of these matches.  Her team won 2-0 against the strongest team of the league.  When she scored the second goal, my daughter extended her arms and ran frenetically through the field with excitement and delight jumping into the goalie’s arms.  At that point, my heart was beating rapidly and I was clapping and screaming with an extraordinary intensity.
This morning, I hesitated before going to watch her game. I always have so much to do on Sundays.  However, because my daughter insisted, I decided that my housework could wait.  Making her happy became my source of happiness and through the process, I found genuine happiness myself!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right Ramona. You really get caught up in the moment and, during that short period of time, nothing else matters!

dcmarvel said...

middle age? whatchewtalkingabout????????

Unknown said...

What a great game that was!!!! I’m so proud of the girls! And you are absolutely right Dina. There is something really magical about watching your kid doing something she is so passionate about and, yes Ramona, it really does bring back the kid in you. You should have seen me screaming and jumping up and down when they scored. I looked like an idiot and I didn’t care!

Unknown said...

Too bad this time around you weren't next to me Anne, we could have jumped up and down together!!!!