Friday, November 26, 2010

DAY 69 - S.O.S MOTIVATION

Day 69
Every morning, I get up, go on my computer to check my e-mail, see if anyone has commented on my posts and take a look at my readership.  When my readership is up, I become happy and motivated to write my next post.  When it’s down, I get discouraged and sometimes question myself on the relevancy of writing a blog on happiness.
Finding motivation on a daily basis is not an easy task.  I admire people who have a persistent tireless drive and fire.  Those, who go ahead, no matter the obstacle, with their head down ready to break any wall that stands in their way.  My style is more analytical.  I look, observe, analyze and then I go forward.  When I hit an obstacle, I look, observe and analyze again to try and find a way to overcome it.  Does looking, observing and analyzing sometimes get in the way of my motivation?
In order to achieve any goal in life, you need to be inspired to do so.  There is nothing easier than falling into a motivational slump.  I’ve experienced that a number of times with working out.  I start off going to the gym 4 times a week and then, one day something comes up and the routine is broken.  From that moment on, any excuse becomes valid not to go: “I should go food shopping. ” “I should have a coffee with Catherine, I haven’t seen her for a while.” “ I really need to clean up my house”.  “I only have an hour ahead of me, it’s not enough time.”   In terms of giving myself excuses not to go, I can get pretty creative.
Since motivation is a driving force to achieving your goals, it needs to become a daily priority.    What helps in my case is to avoid thinking too much about what I have to do.  Instead, I just get up and do it.  Very often, as I am doing it, motivation surfaces out of nowhere and when I’m done, a feeling of satisfaction replaces the initial lassitude.   
Everybody has their own way of getting motivated.  The important thing is to apply whatever works for you.  In doing so, you have a better chance of achieving your goals and therefore lead a more gratifying life.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Dina, all I can say is that if you start something you have to follow through with it, as everything we do in this life will teach us something. Ask yourself the question if you are not finishing stuff in your life why is that? Maybe you should dwell into that as when we enjoy the things we do it is never any work or effort.

Take care enjoy your weekend

Anonymous said...

The first comment was from Sergio P

Anonymous said...

May be just a weird question : Do you know precisely your goal to achieve in writting for a year every single day a blog about happiness ?
What does it provide to you ? If on the way you lose sight of the reason why you first decided to launch your own blog, you lose the motivation and inspiration. That's the same for every single person on earth.
Sénèque said : " Il n'y a pas de vent favorable pour celui qui ne sait où il va ".
I don't want to translate it in English because I don't want to take a chance to change the meaning and I know you are bilingual.
Also just remember why you decided to do it, what is your goal to achieve, and most of all what positive it provides you.
I think (may be I'm wrong) your motivation would come back very strong with these simples but absolutely essential answers.

Take care Dina.

Yohann on the Canadian west coast right now.

Anonymous said...

Just to complete my previous comment :
To keep the motivation in any situation the clue is never forget why you do it.
Never ever loose sight of your goal and your motivation will stay as strong as it was on the first day even when it's difficult.

Yohann

Unknown said...

I agree with you Yohann... Keeping in mind the reason why you're doing something can really help you stay motivated. However, I think that when you have a long-term objective, you go through different phases and sometimes you do get discouraged and uninspired, especially when you need to be creative on a daily basis. This being said, after 70 days of writing, I'm certainly not ready to give up!

Unknown said...

Great, happy to read that, and I already knew about that. I think you're not one who give up !
Have a great day.
Yohann