Saturday, November 20, 2010

DAY 63 - MARVELING AT LIFE

Day 63


Last night, the doorbell rang.  A Hassidic Jewish man was at my doorstep holding a 20-dollar bill in his hands.  He asked me if I had dropped that money in front of my house.  I told him that I hadn’t but that maybe my husband had.  He handed me the 20 $ bill and left saying: “Enjoy”. 

I was ecstatic.  I felt the same way I feel when I find money in one of my jackets.  It could be 5, 10 or 20 dollars, the amount is not that important.  What brings me joy, is the element of surprise, finding unexpected money. 

It made me think about the fact that in general, one of the reasons why we tend to be dissatisfied with our lives is because we take everything we have for granted.  If we were able to marvel at it the same way we do when we discover something for the first time, we would probably be happier.

This morning, my children were so excited when they looked outside and saw it was snowing.  I, on the other hand, groaned!  Not already!!!!!  But snow could be beautiful.  It depends on your perception of it!  Think of the first times you experienced or acquired anything you have. 

The first time my husband and I kissed, I trembled with joy.  The first time I held my kids in my arms, I cried of happiness.  The first day I slept in my king size bed with my new comforter, my heart was filled with joy when I went to bed.   When we first finished painting our house, I would sit and marvel at the walls with a never-ending smile. 

If we were able to go through every experience in our lives as thought it was the first time we lived it, we would probably be able to achieve more contentment.  We get accustomed to things very quickly and sometimes, even if we desperately wanted something, it soon becomes another trivial addition to our lives.  Learning to wonder a littlle more at everything that surrounds us might not be that easy, but it could help us positively tint our vision of our life. 

No comments: