Friday, November 19, 2010

DAY 62 - ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

DAY 62

Today, in class, we had our traditional community lunch.  Each student prepared a typical dish from his or her country.  We organize this activity every time we begin a new session.  It allows students to socialize and exchange in an informal and friendly setting.

At the end of the meal, we always make a speech to welcome the students and thank them for taking the time to prepare such delectable food.   At that moment, my colleague John spontaneously broke into a song: “Love, love, love, all you need is love.”  He began singing that Beatles tune.  As I joined him in his improvised concert, I thought that indeed, to be happy, all you really need is love.
I’m not talking about romantic love or any other specific love, but I’m referring to the feeling itself, that emotion that can overcome you at any time and give you a genuine sensation of well-being.  When I meditate, I sometimes try to feel love.  If I’m not in the greatest of moods, it really helps me feel content.

As a parent, I often have to discipline my children.  I have been making an effort to always do it with love.  I find that it makes a difference in the way my children perceive and react to my demands.   This strategy could probably also be applied in other spheres of life.  When we communicate with love and compassion, people are more receptive.

“I love you” is probably the best sentence we could say and hear.  It fills your heart with such an immense joy, no matter if you are giving or receiving the love.  Yet, most of us scarcely use these words and when we do, it’s often out of habit and not necessarily deeply felt. 

We spend so much time dwelling on negative feelings.  Maybe it would be time for us to start spending more energy on feeling and giving love.

No comments: