Monday, May 2, 2011

DAY 208 - ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS... ARE YOU TRYING TO SABOTAGE YOURSELF?

Day 208

I've had many projects and dreams in my life, some I've achieved and some I havent.  One of my biggest achievements, outside of my kids of course, was probably to complete my Master's Degree in Literature.  It was about 15 years ago.  I remember I had to finish writing my thesis for the month of September.  It was my last deadline (being the procrastinator that I am, I had postposned the deadline several times before the University finally sent me a notice telling me that I needed to present my thesis by the end of the summer, or else). 

So, while my friends were sipping sangria on patios during the hot summer months, I had to stay home alone in front of my computer and try to sound as intelligent as I could in a 100-page long paper.  I almost gave up so many times... But my husband, parents, brothers and friends kept encouraging me to go on.  Had it not been for their support, I'm not sure I would have ever finished it!

So what lesson did I learn from that experience?  First, in order to achieve your goals, you need to talk about them to people you trust and surround yourself by those who believe in you. You have a better chance of reaching your goals if you feel your family and friends are right behind you supporting you!  You also need to stay away from people who tend to drag you down or give you their 'honest' but negative comments.

You also have to be willing to work hard!!!!!  Nothing ever comes easy.  Success really is about "99% perspiration and 1% inspiration",  as Thomas Edison put it so well.

You also need to make sure you don't end up sabotaging yourself by letting your negative thoughts (led by the little devil on your left shoulder) win over your positive thoughts (led by the little angel on your right shoulder).

Most of the times, the biggest obstacle to your success is ... yourself..  Fear of failure, fear of success, lack of perseverance, lack of self-confidence, mixed with a little laziness and an array of semi-invented excuses,  are all elements that  keep you from going forward in trying to achieve your goals!  The thing is, in the end, why not give it a try?  You really have nothing to lose! And who knows, you might even succeed!  And wouldn't that make you happy?


"Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure."
George Edward Woodberry


“Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be.”
 George Sheehan

“Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.”
Mark Victor Hansen

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

No comments: