Monday, May 16, 2011

DAY 219 - GOING ON A SHOPPING SPREE!

Day 219

Contrarily to many of my girlfriends, I am not a shopping lover.  Shopping malls full of neon lights actually get me dizzy. I also find the process of shopping rather confusing.  In our consumer's society, the selection of clothing is so wide, that finding something I like and that suits me well can take several hours... and I always get very tired and irritated in the process.

It's not that I don't enjoy acquiring new clothes.  On the contrary, I could become ecstatic once I find the perfect piece of clothing.  But in the process of finding it, I sometimes go through a range of negative emotions.

Last Thursday, I went shopping with my friend Donna.  Spring seems to be a great season to renew your wardrobe.  However, it's got its disadvantages! Often, you are carrying extra 'winter' love handles on your hips, and summer clothes, which tend to be more revealing, might not do a good job of hiding them, thus, creating negative emotions!!!!

As we were trying on millions of outfits (which is something I always do and that drives my husband crazy when I go shopping with him), I wondered why finding and buying clothes that fit well can generate such joy.  I have already written that studies have shown that it is better to spend your money on experiences rather than on material goods, if you are looking to increase your level of happiness.

However, I must confess, when I tried on that orange top and grey skirt, it made me feel happy!  I have been looking to lighten the colours of my wardrobe and that flashy orange just struck me as being exactly what I had been looking for.  Besides that outfit, I bought another outfit and two pairs of shoes... Let's say my wallet felt much lighter after that little shopping spree!

I know that the effect of those purchases are only going to be temporary.  New clothes cannot have a lasting effect on happiness.  After wearing my new outfits a couple of times, they will just become part of all the stuff I own...  But, until then, I'll enjoy the feeling I'll get every time I put them on!!!!

I hate to say it, but no matter how superficial and materialistic it sounds, I believe that wearing new clothes can have an impact on your self-confidence level!  There I said it!  And when you feel more confident... you radiate more confidence and, as a result, you may even momentarily feel a little bit happier!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.







No comments: