Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DAY 225 - THE MIRACLE OF LIFE

Day 225

Last week, my cousin's wife gave birth to a baby boy in their bathroom.   What a story they'll be able to tell that kid later on!  From the moment she had her first contraction until the moment the baby was born, only 45 minutes went by.  The paramedics arrived right on time to deliver.  As I was asking my cousin about how he felt, he told me he stayed very calm... I'm not surprised.  As for her, she could not have been thinking, she was in too much pain!!!!

This past weekend, I went to see the baby!  As I looked at little Adam, I thought, once again, about this miracle of life.  Because, it definitely IS a miracle.  When I had my own kids, I thought about it a lot... Two cells joining and dividing an infinite number of times to create a human being!  How fascinating is that?  I still can't wrap my brain around this marvel of nature!

With both my daughters, it really boggled me!  Initially, they were both concepts... I was pregnant and they were growing in my stomach...  It's funny how, especially with your first one, you don't really realize you're carrying a human being!  You're just pregnant and that's a state in itself.  Once in a while, you get an inside kick or a punch from little feet and hands.  But really you're only conceptualizing the fact that it is a person.  You really understand it the day the baby's born!

I remember the unutterable emotion I felt when my daughters came out!  Nothing could ever compare to that experience!  It was something surreal... magical!  You're in excruciating pain and then, all of a sudden, some wrinkled little naked person comes out of you and starts crying!  You take that cute little being in your arms and, at that point, nothing else matters!  You are experiencing the HAPPIEST moment of your life!

Until now, I cannot recall a moment in my life when I experienced as much pain and joy simultaneously!   Which proves, once again, that suffering and happiness go hand in hand... they are both an unescapable part of every human life!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

No comments: