Friday, May 27, 2011

DAY 228 - HAPPINESS VOX POP - ANNA MARTINEZ: MOTHER, PARTNER, TEACHER, DOG GROOMER

Day 228 

I am a mother, partner, daughter, teacher, friend, housekeeper, gardener, nurse, dog groomer, and driver… I am one of the many superwomen who are out there. I grew up in the suburbs in a very nice and clean neighborhood. I come from a traditional Spanish family. Growing up, I was influenced by both Spanish and Québécois culture. I think I am a successful product of multiculturalism.

What is happiness for you?

I see happiness on two levels. First, there is the underlying sense of happiness which I see as a general positive outlook on life, believing that things will turn out for the best. I also see happiness as special moments in one’s life: talking with friends, practicing a sport, having supper with your partner, watching your children play sports… the possibilities are endless.

Has your profession impacted your level and your vision of happiness? If yes, how?

My profession gives me a great sense of accomplishment and purpose. I teach young adults who need and want to finish their high school. Throughout their academic life, my students have been faced with failure. Here, they have the possibility to overcome difficulties and realize that they can succeed. My job contributes to my happiness by allowing me to make a difference in people’s lives.

Has your vision of happiness greatly changed through time?

As I’m getting older, I have the impression that I have a broader perspective on life. Things are not as black and white as before. In that respect, my understanding of happiness as well as other emotions has changed. Also, what made me happy 20 years ago does not necessarily make me happy now, and vice a versa.  Going to bed at 10 o’clock on a Saturday night with a good book after a hot bath was not in the top ten in my twenties, but now it could be bliss…

Do you believe you have control on your level of happiness?

Yes, I have control on the way I look at things. It’s a matter of making choices, as hard as they may be. I don’t always make the right choices, but I know that it’s up to me if I want to be happy.

What do you do to change your mood when you’re feeling sad?

I don’t think I try to change my mood. If I am sad, it’s for a reason. I try to figure out the cause and act accordingly whether by talking about it or having a good cry. Sometimes, understanding the root of a negative emotion is enough to make it go away.

On the whole, would you say you are a happy person?

Yes, I strive at being happy. It’s a work in process.

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness.

1 comment:

J.C.BHADU said...

Happiness is inside ourselves.It is not an outside object.The things we see outside us can not make us happy unless we are sad inside. Don't go outside for happiness but dive deep in yourself.The world outside is the material form of our vision.